For the past 6 weeks or more, we have had a temporary new pet. His name is Fuzzy, and he has been living in a jar on my countertop. He even went to Kansas with us and rode in the motorhome. Fascinating life for a worm. For the first 3 weeks, he crawled around eating everything in sight and nearly doubled in size. He pooped alot. I never knew caterpillars poopped. You'd have thought there was a mouse in there. (Had I known caterpillars pooped so much and I would have to clean his cage regularly, I wouldn't have suggested that the girls could watch him transform.) Finally, he went into his cocoon. As mold slowly grew around him in the jar, and I was tempted to toss him on a daily basis, he was slowly changing inside his cocoon. This morning we found that he had hatched and we set him free near where we found him. Hopefully, he won't be eaten like our butterfly from the mall was. By the way, he is a Giant Leopard Moth.

THe ugly black furry worm turned into a pretty butterfly. You didn't manage to kill it!
ReplyDelete